January 29th, 2019 - 8:10PM
Union Arena - Woodstock, VT
Box Score
Game ID: 1255

Tuck Continues Dominance over Whalers

On a night where many players would rather not battle mother nature and the 6 inches of snow she was dumping on the upper valley, the brave few that showed up for this game battled hard against one another. The Tuck Fighting Swans and Whalers have faced off 54 times prior to tonight with a lopsided 40 wins falling in Tuck's favor.

The Whalers were extremely short handed with only 9 skaters, not to mention they were missing their fearless leader, goaltender Kenny Lallier. Luckily the Whale were able to pull in Tucker Garrity-Hanchett...forthwith known as TGH. TGH was outstanding for the Blue & Green, turning away 27 shots. Tuck's Lindsay Holdcroft turned away 23 shots in a winning effort.

The first period was a chess match for the first 7-8 minutes as neither team generated a ton of shots but it was the Whalers that struck first 8:57 into the first when Dillan "Fierce" Pearce hit Dan "Shoot First" Fenton with pass across their own blue line. Fenton flew through the neutral zone and dropped a low snapper inside the post, blocker side, from the tops of the circles. Great release and Holdcroft didn't have a chance. The pace picked up after that goal as Tuck and the Whale traded chances but the score remained the same at the end of the first frame.

END OF THE FIRST: Whalers 1 - Tuck 0
SHOTS: Whalers 8 - Tuck 9

The Whalers started the second period on the PK after TGH was tagged for a trip in the final minute of the first period, and it only took 25 seconds for Tuck to tie the game at 1. The Fighting Swans moved the puck around the perimeter before Andrew Cox moved the puck along the point to Andrew Sheridan for a quick wrister that had eyes to find the back of the net. It almost took 11 minutes for the tie to be broken by Brodie Stone who also took a nice pass from Andrew Cox. Stone broke to the slot from the near boards and on his forehand, beating TGH with a quick wrister glove side. The Whaler's responded 2 minutes later when Dillan Pierce and Dan Fenton connected again, this time in reverse as Kelly Park hit Fenton streaking through the neutral zone. Fenton broke the blue line, cut to the middle and fired some high heat over Holdcroft's head, but picked up his rebound below the goal line, turning and firing to the front of the net. Holdcroft tipped the shot out into the slot, off of a defenseman and the puck was teed up for Pierce who was walking into the slot for the easy put-away. Game Tied 2-2

The only other notable in the period was a late tripping call against Peter Cahill

END OF THE SECOND: Whalers 2 - Tuck 2
SHOTS: Whalers 16 - Tuck 20

The intensity ramped up in the third as both teams were pushing to take the lead. The Whalers took 2 early penalties on a Pierce Trip at 10:15 and a weak Kirt "Big" Johnson Body Checking call at 8:50. Tuck's Cox took a holding call with 3:26, yet nobody could convert on the man advantages. TGH & Holdcroft were both stellar, keeping their teams in it until the final minute of the period.

Gillian Apps set up the game winning goal with under a minute to play as she went hard into the corner, shielding the puck from a Whaler and making a nice little dish to Andrew Cox who came out of the corner, pulling the puck around one defender to the goal line, before cutting back between two Whaler's to TGH's left and beating the netminder along the ice. Beautiful goal for the win.

END OF REGULATION: Whalers 2 - Tuck 3
SHOTS: Whalers 25 - Tuck 30

Andrew Sheridan


Lindsay Holdcroft

GA: 2
SAVE%: 0.92

Tucker Garrity-Hanchett

GA: 3
SAVE%: 0.9

© 2003-2019 Upper Valley Hockey League.
Website design & maintenance by Kelly Andrew Park